Mumbai Police Busts Admission Racket, Arrests 10
Jobless BTech graduate turns mastermind, dupes 35 students of ₹50 lakh. Police arrest 10

A 32-year-old BTech graduate, Sonu Kumar, has been arrested by the Powai police for allegedly masterminding an engineering admission racket. Kumar, who had completed his degree from MIT College, Pune, had been unemployed since 2024 and had also failed in his real estate venture.
The police said Kumar recruited nine unemployed engineers from Bihar, Haryana, Jharkhand, and Uttar Pradesh to help him with the racket. The accused posed as tourists and stayed in rented flats in Viman Nagar, near Pune airport. They told their families they were in Pune for a four-month company project.
The police team searched the area for 36 hours before raiding three flats on August 15. The accused used burner phones, SIM cards, and fake social media accounts to target students online. They promised management and NRI-quota engineering seats to at least 35 students and cheated them of around ₹50 lakh.
Senior inspector Atmaji Sawant said all 10 accused were unemployed or had small jobs. Kumar allegedly used his knowledge of admission procedures to devise the racket. The police have arrested all 10 accused and are investigating the case further.
The racket was busted after the police received a tip-off about the accused's location. The police team worked tirelessly to track down the accused and finally raided the flats on August 15. The accused have been booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code.
The case highlights the plight of unemployed engineers in the country. Many graduates are struggling to find jobs, and some are turning to illegal activities to make a living. The police have advised students to be cautious when applying for admissions and to verify the authenticity of any agency or consultant.
The arrest of the accused has brought relief to the students who were cheated. The police have assured that they will take strict action against anyone involved in such rackets. The case is a reminder of the need for stricter laws and regulations to prevent such scams.
The engineering admission racket is a serious issue that affects many students and their families. The police have urged students to be aware of such scams and to report any suspicious activity to the authorities. The case is under investigation, and the police are working to prevent such rackets in the future.
In recent years, there have been several cases of admission rackets in the city. The police have been working to crack down on such scams and to bring the accused to justice. The arrest of the 10 accused is a significant step in this direction.
The case has also highlighted the need for more job opportunities for engineers in the country. Many graduates are struggling to find employment, and the government needs to take steps to address this issue. The police have advised students to be cautious and to verify the authenticity of any job offer or admission agency.
In conclusion, the arrest of the 10 accused in the engineering admission racket is a significant step in preventing such scams in the future. The police have urged students to be aware of such rackets and to report any suspicious activity to the authorities. The case highlights the need for stricter laws and regulations to prevent such scams and to provide more job opportunities for engineers in the country.
Frequently asked questions
What was the modus operandi of the accused?
The accused used burner phones, SIM cards, and fake social media accounts to target students online and promised them management and NRI-quota engineering seats.
How many students were cheated by the accused?
At least 35 students were cheated of around ₹50 lakh by the accused.