Assam, Meghalaya Meet Over Shillong Violence
Assam and Meghalaya governments hold joint meeting, 15 FIRs registered, SIT probe underway

Assam and Meghalaya governments held a joint meeting in Guwahati on Saturday to review the situation following the violent incident in Shillong on August 19.
The meeting was attended by Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister S Dhar, Assam Border Protection and Development Minister Atul Bora, and senior officials of both states.
The meeting was held to discuss the prevailing situation between the two states after a black flag bike rally organised by Khasi Students' Union turned violent in Shillong. Several vehicles, including Assam-registered vehicles, were damaged by protesters during the rally.
Addressing a joint press conference after the meeting, Dhar said the Meghalaya government regretted the incident and assured Assam that action would be taken against the culprits. He said the Meghalaya Police had arrested top leaders of the Khasi Students' Union and 15 FIRs had been registered in connection with the incident.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted to identify all those involved in the violence, particularly those responsible for attacks on Assam-registered vehicles.
According to Bora, 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles had been safely escorted out of Meghalaya and into Assam following the incident. The meeting also decided to ensure the safe evacuation of stranded tourists and vehicles.
The Meghalaya government has assured that remaining passengers will be safely transferred within 48 hours. The joint meeting was held following directions from the chief ministers of Assam and Meghalaya.
The incident has raised concerns about the safety of tourists and vehicles in the region. The governments of Assam and Meghalaya have assured that they will take all necessary measures to prevent such incidents in the future.
The SIT probe is currently underway, and the governments have assured that strong action will be taken against those responsible for the violence.
The incident has also highlighted the need for better coordination and communication between the two states to prevent such incidents in the future.
In conclusion, the joint meeting between the governments of Assam and Meghalaya is a positive step towards resolving the issue and preventing such incidents in the future.
The safety and security of tourists and vehicles in the region are of utmost importance, and the governments of both states have assured that they will take all necessary measures to ensure their safety.
Frequently asked questions
What happened in Shillong on August 19?
A black flag bike rally organised by Khasi Students' Union turned violent, with several vehicles, including Assam-registered vehicles, being damaged by protesters.
What action has been taken by the Meghalaya government?
The Meghalaya government has arrested top leaders of the Khasi Students' Union, registered 15 FIRs, and constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to identify those involved in the violence.